Horned Toad Prince
Skill: Author's Purpose
Big Question: What can we discover in the landscapes of the Southwest?
Bargain- an agreement to trade or exchange; deal
Favor-act of kindness
Lassoed- roped; caught with a long rope with a loop on the end
Offended- hurt the feelings of someone; made angry
Prairie- large area of level or rolling land with grass but few or no trees
Riverbed-channel in which a river flows or used to flow
Shrieked -made a loud, sharp, shrill, sound
1. What are some objects you would expect to find in an ancient (riverbed)?
2. Give an example of a fair (bargain).
3. Suddenly you hear a shriek, but you don't see anything. Imagine what could have happened.
"I heard the (shriek) because ______"
4. Why might animals that live on a (prairie) make their homes underground?
5. Explain what happened the last time you were offended.
6. Explain how you would teach someone how to (lasso) a bull.
7. What feelings do you have for a person who has done you a favor? Why?
Goal: Today we will learn the definition of our new vocabulary words so that we can use them in our everyday writing and possibly in our project.
(Small Group: Sleuth Book)
1. Write the vocabulary words on your journal. Title it "Horned Toad Prince" vocabulary.
2. Practice your new vocabulary by using Pearson.
3. Acuity Language Arts
Goal: Today we will start reading the story "Horned Toad Prince" and discover what opportunities can be found in new places.
(Small Group: Sleuth Groups)
1. Vocabulary Poster on Google Drawing OR flip "Vocabulary Cards" in journal
2. Read Theory
Goal: Today we will practice our vocabulary words by using them in our own context.
(Small Group: Read, The Fox and the Tiger pg 134 & 135)
1. Take DAZE quiz
2. “Horned Toad Prince” Vocabulary Connection
3. "Just Right" Book
Goal: Today we will practice the spiral skill.
(Small Group: Skill Practice)
1. Complete the Spiral Skill worksheet.
2. Think Critically Questions
3. Moby Max (Stories)
Goal: We will show mastery of our vocabulary words and applying the skill of the week (Author's Purpose) through the text based comprehension test.
1. Test on Pearson + Reader's Response
2. We just got done learning all about the landscape of the southwest. Research another unique landscape. Describe this unique landscape for everyone to discover 3. Just Right Book