- Introduce the Engineering Process
- Record the process in our journals
- Watch the Design Squad
- Review Engineering Process
- Introduce problem
- Identify the problem, goal, client, and end users in journals
- Record Materials and Constraints
- Write down what comes to mind with the word "tower"
* Talk about forces on a tower
* Compression and Tension mini lesson
* What should your construction prevent the tower from doing?
A force is a push or pull upon an object resulting in changing the
objects state of rest or motion.
Compression is the action or state of being squished down or made smaller or more pressed together.
Tension is physical strain, the force created by pulling something tight.
- Exploratory activity (5 pieces of peg board, 4 fasteners, and 1 piece of string)
- Create a study structure that can with hold forces from all sides.
- What does a design look like in our journals
- Large (over 1/2 page) / multiple angles / many labels
- Create individual design sketch
- Team Design Sketch (1 team paper)
- Gather Materials
- Create Tower
- Test towers with weight and wind
- Record data
- Discuss strength, weakness, design flaws, and explain a redesign plan